3. "It's a Meaningful Life": Okay, so not technically a movie, this VeggieTales episode is a perfect show to put you in the mood for giving thanks. "It's a Meaningful Life" combines It's a Wonderful Life, Polar Express and Mr. Destiny to tell the tale of Stewart (Larry), who missed making the winning football play in school, and has regretted it ever since. When Stewart wonders whether his life could have been different, someone finally appears who can show him. Thankfully, after a series of mishaps, Stewart learns to be content with his life.
2. It's a Wonderful Life: Mentioned above, It's a Wonderful Life is a familiar classic. Again, an angel helps a regretful man experience a different reality. This time, though, the angel shows George Bailey what life would have been like if he never existed. After seeing that his life has made a difference, George also learns to be content with his life.
1. The Polar Express: Though not as inspiring as the other two shows, The Polar Express is one of my family's favorites. Watching The Polar Express makes me thankful for many things on a personal level. First, I am always thankful I am not really on a roller coaster train ride! Second, I am thankful for the reminder that children have compassionate hearts and care for each other. Third, I am thankful that Billy receives a present. . . maybe for the first time. Since we usually watch The Polar Express on Black Friday, after I have spend most of the day Christmas shopping, I am always so grateful our family has enough resources to enjoy Christmas.
This year, when many people in our country are worried about what their future holds, I feel like it is even more important to count our blessings, as well as to find places to contribute and serve. We are so blessed. . . may we
bless others this Christmas season, too.
Practical ways to bless others through giving:
- Give to a family in your church, school or neighborhood that is experiencing hard times.
- Donate to your church or community food shelf.
- Donate to or serve at your local Union Gospel Mission: Here is the Twin Cities, MN link. https://ugmtc.org/get-involved/
- Donate to or serve at The Salvation Army: http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/
- Sponsor a family through Lutheran Social Services: Again, here is the link in the Twin Cities, but be sure to check out services in your area! http://www.lssmn.org/refugeeservices/